- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups white sugar / or brown – less sweet only use 1 cup sugar.
- 2 cups mashed overripe bananas – I often just use 4 small to medium overripe bananas
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup chopped walnuts – I prefer pecans – it is a southerner thing.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9×5 inch loaf pans.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking soda into a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the butter or margarine and sugar until smooth. Stir in the bananas, eggs, and walnuts until well blended. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture, and stir just until blended. Divide the batter evenly between the two loaf pans.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the crown of the loaf comes out clean. Let the loaves cool in the pans for at least 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack, and cool completely. Wrap in aluminum foil to keep in the moisture. Ideally, refrigerate the loaves for 2 hours or more before serving.